Sri Anantheshwara Primary School, popularly known as ‘Paniyadi School’ was started in the year 1893 and was imparting quality education to children in Kannada medium. In the year 1943, His Holiness Sri Sri Vishwesha Theertha Swamiji of Pejawar Mutt took over the management of the school and was upgraded to Higher Primary School. The school started flourishing academically and was at its peak during 1943 – 1980. In the mid eighties, due to a craze for English medium schools, the student strength in Kannada medium schools started dwindling and Paniyadi School was no exception. In the nineties, the student strength reduced to such a level that the government stopped all grants and aids. At this juncture, an elaborate revival package was worked out and in the year 1993, the school was taken over by ‘Vidyodaya Trust’ headed by Sri Sri Vishwesha Theertha Swamiji. The trust initiated a series of measures to put the school back on the track. Vidyodaya Public School was started in 1996-97. In 2004, the school (from 1st std. to 10th Std.) was affiliated to the ICSE Council, New Delhi, under the name ‘Vidyodaya Public School’. The first building of the school was donated by Smt. Indira Ballal in memory of her late husband Ramakrishna Ballal.
The School is managed by Vidyodaya Trust. His Holiness Sri Sri Vishwesha Theertha Swamiji is the President of the trust. The other members of the trust are: Sri N.Nagaraj Ballal (Working President), Sri K.Ganesh Rao (Secretary), Sri U.Padmaraj Acharya (Treasurer), Smt.Roopa Ballal (Jt.Secretary), Sri Raghuram Acharya (Member), Sri Koni Vasudev Shet (Member) and Sri U.Damodar (Member). The dedication, hard work and involvement of the trustees, particularly the core members have brought about name and fame for the school and the school is now one of the leading schools in and around Udupi.
The main focus of the school is to provide value based education to children. Strict discipline is maintained in the school which will ultimately benefit the children to become responsible citizens of tomorrow and to lead a disciplined life. The school has Classes from Std.1 to Std.10 and follows the ICSE pattern. Each Class has a maximum strength of 40 and the total strength of the school is 900 The class rooms are spacious and well furnished. With a view to enhancing the learning environment, Science Laboratories, Computer and audio-visual centres and a well-stocked library are provided for the students. To make the learning process interesting and effective, all class rooms are provided with ‘Active Boards’. The school encourages children to bring out/develop talents through ‘Club Activities’ in the following areas: a) music and dance b) public speaking and debating c) art and craft d) design and decoration e) yoga f) nature and environment and g) community health.
The Vidyodaya faculty comprises of dedicated and experienced teachers. In all there are 40 teachers. Smt. Sudha Rao, Principal, is striving hard to maintain discipline and high academic standard and is ably supported by Smt.Chandrika Ravish, Head-mistress. Teachers are encouraged to participate in Seminars and workshops in order to enhance their teaching abilities.
6 batches of students have passed already out ICSE examination and the 7th batch has just appeared at the examination held during March 2013. In all the batches, 100% result was recorded. Not only that, all students have passed out in FIRST CLASS and many with distinctions.